Sunday, March 30, 2008

I Am Legend, PG-13



Grade: A-

Wow! What a movie. Will Smith, once again, proves why he is one of America's national treasures. This post-apocalyptic sci-fi thriller was full of emotion and action. The first half of the movie reminded me a lot of Cast Away, where Smith is the only person on screen, indeed in the "world." His means of coping with the loneliness came across as genuine and convincing.

Many critics say the end was disappointing, an opinion with which I can sympathize. It felt a little abrupt, and left a few unresolved plot points. An alternate ending is available (I found it on YouTube), which I am told more closely follows the book. I like both endings for different reasons. The original ending has a messianic quality to it: a savior must sacrifice to save the world, hearkening to the Time Magazine cover page displayed at the beginning with a picture of Smith's character and the title "Savior?" The alternate ending, however, does tie up the loose ends (even the ones you didn't realize were loose at the time), manages to portray the humanity in the "bad guys," and is "happier."

Overall, I really liked it. I am sure that I will watch it again.

No comments: